Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Something new every day

Open Minds tarp after the demo
I'm home now from the last Open Minds demonstration of the school year.  This was a grade 4 class who are spending the school week at The Rooms.  After the flintknapping demonstration the kids took some of the reproductions back to their tables to sketch and do "Condition Reports" on.  One of the students brought me back a soapstone plummet with a magnet stuck to it.  I had no idea that soapstone could be magnetic.  I knew that some of the soapstone from the Baie Verte Peninsula in Newfoundland contained iron and would weather with a rusty appearance, but I didn't remember learning that it was magnetic.  Pretty cool.

Soapstone plummet with magnets
Photo Credits: Tim Rast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails