Monday, April 2, 2012

Starting Spring Orders

Archaic Lance, Groswater reproductions
For the next couple of months I'll be working on artifact reproductions full time.  I have a few wholesale jewelry orders to fill, but most of the work will be for universities and parks to use in interpretive or educational programming.  The two big projects that I'm working on at the moment are sets of reproductions based on artifacts found in digs at Red Bay, Labrador and Cape Krusenstern, Alaska.

Groswater side-scraper needs a handle
I'll talk more about the artifacts as I finish the reproductions over the coming weeks.  Both are fun.  The artifacts for the Labrador project are mainly Archaic and Groswater Palaeoeskimo, which I'm pretty comfortable with, but there is always something new to learn or new techniques to experiment with.

Roughing out a Choris biface
The Alaskan artifacts are especially interesting to me because they are related to the Eastern Arctic cultures that I'm particularly fond of, but they have their own unique twists.  The people living in the Eastern Arctic came there from the west at least a couple of different times in the past.   There are some interesting ancestral or transitional artifact styles in Alaska that help put archaeology in the Canadian Arctic into context and I'm looking forward to reproducing some of those artifacts this spring.

Photo Credits: Tim Rast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails