Friday, August 16, 2013

Palaeoeskimo Artifact Reproductions

Two tip-fluted endblades, a knife,
and a side-scraper
I'm working on a few Dorset Palaeoeskimo artifact reproductions in the workshop this week.  These are going to Piqqusilirivvik, the new Inuit Cultural Learning Facility in Clyde River, Nunavut.  The complete set will be primarily Palaeoeskimo and Thule artifact reproductions.  I've made a lot of these pieces over the years, so its a good order to ease my way back into production.

I'm still debating on whether to leave this small knife as it is, or resharpen it down a bit more to give it more of a used look.  I'm happy with how the flake scars meet in the middle - that little ridge of diving step fractures has a very Palaeoeskimo feel to it.  I could probably retouch the edge a bit more and still maintain that detail.

Photo Credits: Tim Rast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails