Friday, April 11, 2014

Quartzite Biface

I had a bit of trouble getting my hands on red quartzite for a couple of important artifact reproductions in the Sheshatshiu Intermediate Period set, but my luck recently changed.  This is one of two copies of a particular biface (below) that I need to make and haft.

This photo shows the original artifact.  There are a couple different interpretations of what this tool might have been used for and I'm going to make two versions and haft them in two different ways to illustrate the different theories.

Photo Credits: Tim Rast

2 comments:

  1. An adze or gouge? Here on Kodiak the early ones are not ground on the bit.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. That is one of the interpretations. Do you have any photos of the Kodiak examples? I'm thinking that this one might work best in an antler socket, rather than trying to attach it directly to a wood handle.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails