Friday, April 10, 2015

The end is in sight...

Offset Awl,
Reproduction above and artifact below
I'm very close to finishing the Ikaahuk artifact reproductions.  I suspect that starting with the next visit I'll be able to finish at least one of the eight reproductions every day.  The first one should be the offset awl.  The shaping is all done and I've fit the awl into the handle.  At this point I just need to scorch the handle with a flame a bit more to antique it and apply some ochre staining to really bring out the rust in a couple places.  If all goes well, it will be done by Tuesday. 

Bola, reproduction on the left
 and artifact on the right
 The bola and the ivory lure should be the next ones done after that.  They are very close to being done, but I may need a couple more visits to work out all of the final contours and to match the holes exactly.  On pieces like this I usually drill small pilot holes and then expand them to match the exact size and location of the holes on the artifact.


Ivory fishing lure, reproduction (left) and artifact (right) The pencil marks indicate the next places to cut.

The Slate ulu is coming along rapidly.  I had a different one started but it broke, so I had to begin again.  I'm building the reproduction around the large flake scar on the left side of the ulu.  When the shape is complete, I intend to stain it to better approach the dark grey or black stone that the original was made on.  The dark one on the bottom is the artifact, the lighter one on the right is a 1:1 printed pattern and the grey stone on the top is the reproduction in progress.
Photo Credits: Tim Rast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails